My Makeup Bag: March 2016

Posted on

Sometimes I get stuck in a beauty rut – the same lather, rinse, and repeat for months on end. This is typical of me during the winter months, when my face is hidden behind layers. Come spring, however, and I am ready for a rebirth. Ok, this sounds much deeper than it actually is – I'm just here to list out the beauty products I've gathered over the past month or so, and have been dutifully using and loving. You know...shallow, vain stuff. Enjoy!




I've never been one to use eyeshadows, or at least anything more than a simple wash of colour over the lids. This was due to creasing and just never finding the right colour combinations. The Tartlette In Bloom palette is a perfectly curated selection of buttery-smooth neutral eyeshadows that can be easily mixed and matched. Been loving "Smarty Pants" or "Jetsetter" as a crease colour, over "Flowerchild" all over the lid. No creasing whatsoever, even without a primer. Though I think I shed a tear or two when one of the eyeshadow pans fell out and shattered. RIP.


For lips, I haven't strayed from NYX's Lip Lingerie liquid lipstick in "Bedtime Flirt" and Colourpop's Ultra Matte Lips in "Bumble". Both these formulations last for hours, and don't settle into fine lip lines. NYX for that nude-pink-mauve-brown trendy look, Colourpop for a fun spring red (not too bright or dark).


After a long month of skin problems (a post on this later), my skin has finally settled down and I have been enjoying pampering it with some new products. This freakin' Origins mask: a sales associate at Sephora roped me into buying it and I will never turn back. It smells amazingly fresh and fruity (apricots!), and works better than the Clarins HydraQuench cream mask I was using prior. I also finally caved into the whole strobing/highlighting thing, and I'm not sorry for it. I got the travel sized Becca Shimmering Skin highlighter and ya girl's been looking dewy af. Especially when applied with the magical Real Techniques sponge.


Last but not least, accessories. Brows: the frames of the face. Ok, so not really an accessory, but certainly, the part that pulls the whole look together. I ditched my Anastasia Brow Whiz in trade for my old MYNC brow palette. I go to MYNC to get my brows done, and they use this product on me. I forgot how easy it is to just swipe on some colour with an angled brush, brush it out with a spooly, and call it a day. No fussy drawing-on of brow hairs like with the Brow Whiz (though I still like that product). Add a spritz of Si (a warm floral scent), and I'm out the door.

And though not makeup items, I have been loving dainty little necklaces. I can't say my dinky Brandy Melville necklace is of great quality, but it's minimalistic and I get compliments on it whenever I wear it. As for the Coffee and Couture choker, I've only recently received it in the post, but I can already see it as a welcome addition to any t-shirt-and-jeans outfit. The founders of this brand are two beauty Youtube girls from Quebec (Allie and Toni), and it's nice to support fellow Canadians.

So there it is! Just a quick post on some things that you can find in my makeup bag this month.


Post a Comment